So I recently joined a baking group called Sweet Melissa Sundays. We base our recipes on a book called The Sweet Melissa Baking Book, which is a bakery based out of our very own Brooklyn. Each Sunday, someone will bake a recipe out of that book until we make it through all of the recipes. My bake date is August 16th, which is still months away, but no worries; I can still bake along with each of the weekly hosts.

This week's recipe was the Honey Biscotti (Melissa calls it the Beescotti) and will be made by Lorelei, which is where the recipe can be found as well. Now, I've made biscottis previously, but this one was new for me. First, I've never baked with honey before, and it was a somewhat frustrating experience that really tests your patience. Waiting for the honey to drip from your measuring spoon is seriously like waiting for a chick to hatch -- NOT FUN, as I am not a patient person by all means. And then there's the whole, I'm not a big fan of almonds thing. I debated left and right but decided to put in chopped almonds anyways (since I was leaving out the candied orange peels and caraway seeds).

The house smelled so wonderful that I think I will have to make these again and again... this is not to say that the biscottis weren't good. They were very good -- not too sweet, honey and almond taste were present but not overwhelming and super satisfying crunch. I did have some issues with the temperatures in the original recipe, so next time I think I will lessen the baking time for the first round of baking and lower the temperature for the second round of baking. With the original baking temp and time, the bottoms of some of the biscottis came out slightly burnt.

Comments (4)

On April 5, 2009 at 8:22 PM , Elyse said...

Your biscotti look great! I'm with you: the aroma was AMAZING. I just wanted my kitchen to stay smelling that way forever. And the taste was fabulous. I was so impressed with our first recipe!

 
On April 5, 2009 at 9:46 PM , k.a.r.e.n said...

So are you going to let me taste this since I missed this weekend's session?

 
On April 6, 2009 at 1:18 AM , Mermaid Sews said...

Your biscotti look so good. Thanks so much for joining the group, I look forward to baking with you. You know what helps when using honey (or molases) is to spray the measuring cups with cooking spray - then it comes out easier.

 
On April 6, 2009 at 4:32 AM , Katiecakes said...

I measure my honey with the tried and tested Golden Syrup method. One short squirt = 1 tbs! Always seems to work out. Failing that, dip your spoons in boiling water before the honey and it slides right off :))

Your biscotti looks fab :)

Katie xox