This week's Sweet Melissa Sunday recipe is the Brooklyn Brownout Cake, chosen by Elyse of Confectionary Creations. I saw this recipe and was like, dang there's so much to make and with school and work, there really is no time. So... I was going to do the unthinkable -- cheat and BUY brownies instead of making them myself. Well, Karen also thought this was unthinkable and graciously shared some of her homemade brownies with me. Thanks Karen!

Now, this cake should really just be called Triple Chocolate Cake -- there is a 2-tiered chocolate cake, with chocolate ganache frosting and brownie bits added in for good texture. I had one bite and instantly my mouth screamed, "I NEED MILK!"

On the top left is a picture of my cake, naked. It actually looks a lot like one of those Oreo cakesters, huh? In the middle is the gooey chocolate ganache with brownie bits. I didn't trim the sides, which might've been the reason why it was so hard for the ganache to cover the split between the two layers... I will try trimming them next time. There was a tip to level the cakes so that the "domed" parts were flattened, but I found that because this had a more chunky frosting, it was not necessary. Just fill the parts that are lower with more frosting and voila, you have a "flat" cake!

I've never worked with ganache before, so this was something a little tricky for me. It is a very liquid frosting, so once you pour it onto the top of the cake, it starts spreading itself and will drip down the sides of the cake. This also means that it is harder to hide the split between the layers. I waited a bit for the ganache to harden slightly and then resumed frosting the cake.

I found that this cake was very brownie-like. It was moist, but wasn't fluffy and had the dense thickness of a brownie. It was definitely very CHOCOLATELY, that's for sure.

Comments (9)

On April 12, 2009 at 5:30 PM , Unknown said...

Haha, I definitely needed a glass of milk after a bite of this cake. I thought it was somewhat tricky to fill the split between the layers but I just kept throwing more ganache at it and eventually it filled in. Great job on your cake!

 
On April 12, 2009 at 8:22 PM , k.a.r.e.n said...

What size cake pan did you use? I went with the 7" and mine turned out to be a high tower of chocolate.

 
On April 12, 2009 at 8:32 PM , NKP said...

We certainly did feel the same way about needing a drink. Love how moist it is, great job!

 
On April 12, 2009 at 9:08 PM , Nancy/n.o.e said...

I agree; milk was MANDATORY with this cake! I love how yours turned out, and how nice of Karen to share brownies with you. I nearly used some that I had in the freezer, but went ahead and made Melissa's. Lots of work, but at least this cake will last, since a little goes far.
Nancy
The Dogs Eat the Crumbs

 
On April 12, 2009 at 10:31 PM , HanaĆ¢ said...

Very nice cake. I agree. Definitely very chocolatey. I'm not big on milk so for me it was a nice big glass of water.

 
On April 12, 2009 at 10:47 PM , Sarah said...

I agree about ganache - not the easiest to frost with. Though so delicious, I think I can forgive it its messiness:)

 
On April 13, 2009 at 12:50 AM , Elyse said...

Your cake looks great! You're right: the cake was chocolate overload. Definitely dense, not fluffy at all. I had a few bites, and my mouth screamed milk, too! However, I got some milk and then couldn't put the cake down. Yum!

 
On April 13, 2009 at 2:01 AM , Mermaid Sews said...

Yes, this cake was chocolate crazy - and I even added more! Isn't Karen great - love that you guys blog and see each other. Love your photos.

 
On April 13, 2009 at 3:53 PM , Megan said...

How cool that Karen gave you the brownies for the cake! I wish I had a fried/fellow blogger close by.